Wednesday 30 January 2008

Oh dear...oh dear

Sandra Oh at the 2008 SAG Awards. Many people are probably thinking 'what on earth was she thinking wearing that gown?? She looks like a present!'. Let me explain. She was wearing a modern-day couture version of the 'hanbok' which is the Korean traditional constume. I have a bit of a soft spot for bows but even I have to say that her bow is way too overdone (and long!) and awkwardly placed. I applaud Sandra for going back to her Korean roots but I am cringing at the overall effect because I don't think she meant it to turn out that way (does anyone know who her stylist is?) but if she wanted to do a modern take on the hanbok I would probably have advised a different design and colour (of all the colours, why neon pink and black?!) made from a more delicate, sheer fabric to give a more romantic yet luxurious feel (it is the red carpet after all!). Take Korean singer BoA for example, she's wearing a modern version of the hanbok in a lovely organza-ish material and I think she looks gorgeous. This is definitely the look that Sandra should have gone for!

No comments: